Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
Image: Eva Hesse, Untitled, 1964
THE DRAWN MISTAKE 1
Tues, 2-5pm, Room TBC
Within this course, we will investigate different approaches to drawing, mostly abstractly, as an act of thought or creation within art and architecture. Our approach will be through the lens of a paradox: contradictions that coexist. We will start on solid ground, looking into ideas of conscious composition: space and form, the figure/ground relationship, as well as exploring volume and projection. Through historical examples, we will discuss how an image works compositionally and how balance and form affect the overall structure. Splitting the mind and body, next we will explore ideas of the body fragmented, or altered in some way. This can include blind drawing, drawing though the use of an apparatus, drawing with an unlikely body part. You will no longer have the usual control. The marks created here are more chaotic, less regulated, but record the difficulty or constraints placed on the body to create them. The ideas and skills learned will then be applied to individual projects. Each student will find a subject or focus around which to create his or her own large drawing utilizing the two contradictory fundamentals, conscious intent and unintentional mistake.
Tuesday 3 Oct / 7 Nov
- Introduction to drawing as an abstraction of Form and Space - working with composition and the figure/ground relationship.
- Compositional exercise in positive/negative space, shape, and form.
Tuesday 10 Oct / 14 Nov
- Constraining the body: blind drawing, drawing with different body parts, drawing with the use of an apparatus.
- Mark making as performance. To create the trace of an event or presence.
Tuesday 17 Oct / 21 Nov
- A visit to the archives.
- Start talking through ideas for individual final drawings.
Tuesday 24 Oct / 28 Nov
- Tutorials and working on the final drawing.
A critical drawing that utilizes and addresses the material covered in the course.