Acting as both training camp and laboratory, it is a diverse, multidisciplinary program where unexpected collisions and obsessive attention to detail expose a rich seam of creative potential. Media Studies presents an opportunity to develop individual practice, where students hone their dexterity with established and progressive media, actively testing modes of production through focused acts of doing and making.
Tues, 2-5pm, Room TBC
A course that explores the fundamental qualities of everyday materials.
Through a series of tests using familiar materials we will transform the dumb and cheap into the sophisticated and exquisite. Taking familiar materials in their raw form we will misuse and abuse them, developing details that force new readings and interpretations of often overlooked substances and products. The end result being a 1:1 detail that flips expected fabrication processes and reconsiders overlooked material qualities seeing them instead as beautiful and surprising.
Session 1: STUFF INTRODUCTION
Tuesday 9 Jan / 13 Feb
- Talk on stuff (verb and noun), material misuse, drawing and decoration.
- Finding your material - Examples: Foam, rubber, silicon, sponge, wax, cling film, insulation boards, steam, plaster, glue gun, corrugated card, house paint, string, clay, plaster, cable ties, milk, tubing, dung, chocolate.
- Discussion on documentation and portfolio
Session 2: MATERIAL QUALITIES
Tuesday 16 Jan / 20 Feb
- Defining Qualities - Describing the base qualities that you are exploring in your material tests. Eg stretchy, fat, transparent, fragrant, reflective, crude, heavy, sticky etc
- Testing the Effect – Explore how to achieve your material qualities and the experiences they give
Session 3: REFINED DESIGN
Tuesday 23 Jan / 27 Feb
- Detail Design – We will continue to work on making versions of the physical refinement of the detail. How could you refine the fabrication process? What steps are required? What tools could be helpful? How can you achieve accuracy? Do you need to make new tools/apparatus to achieve your intended output?
- Documentation – Test the best means of expressing the qualities of your tests through image
Session 4: RESOLUTION
Tuesday 30 Jan / 6 March
- Detail Design - During the session you should aim to finish the made detail. Consider how you could refine the fabrication process.
- Documentation – Presentation of documentation